One of my guilty pleasures. Pistachio Baklava and Rice Pudding. Those are my two favorite desserts. And of course I had to try a homemade vegan version. Regular Baklava comes with honey and butter. Personally, I don’t mind consuming honey if the process of extraction and the bees receive proper care and respect. I’ll consume Raw Honey because it has a plethora of health benefits. Raw Honey is anti-bacterial and can help battle colds among other things. However I want a 100% vegan recipe. I replaced Honey with Agave and butter with Coconut Oil.
I’m sure next time I try doing another batch of Baklava I’ll tweak the recipe a bit. There’s a lot of room for creativity on how you want your pie. It can vary from the nuts, to the spices and natural sweetener you decide to use. I recommend using Agave, Maple Syrup Grade B, and/or if you are ok with it Raw Honey.
– 3 C of Nuts
– 2 Tbsp of Cinnamon
– 1/4 Tsp of Ground Cloves
– 1/4 Tsp of All Spice
– 1 1/2 C of Agave
– 1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
– 2 Tsp of Almond Extract
– 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
– 1/4 C of Water
– 20 Sheets of Phyllo Dough (According to the shape of your pie mold you may use the entire package)
– 1/2 to 1 C of Coconut Oil
– Remove Phyllo Dough from freezer. Let it defrost for 30 minutes.
– Preheat oven 350′
– On a saucepan drop all ingredients from the “syrup” warm up at medium heat till boil. Then simmer for 10 minutes. Mix with spoon.
– Using a food processor, mix all ingredients from the “filling”. Use your “Pulse” button. Chop the nuts, do not grind them entirely.
– Choose your mold, grease it using a Bakery Brush –if you have one, with coconut oil. Place 1 sheet of Phyllo Dough, then grease again. Repeat 6 to 8 sheets. *
– Now using a 1/3 measuring cup scoop out nuts and thrown them on top of phyllo dough. Maybe your pie mold is bigger than mine and you’d need more nuts than just 1/3 C. Use your best judgment. Stay consistent on the amount of nuts per layer.
– Then pour “syrup”. Use the same system as the nuts. Use a measuring cup.
– Repeat layering. USe only 2-3 sheets of phyllo dough for the middle layering. Leave 6-8 sheets for the top of the pie.
– Place in oven for 25-30 min.
*Do not skip the greasing of your phyllo dough or it wont get crispy.