I woke up to a 50’ degree weather I was not expecting. I’m not complaining, I love it! Anything lower than 70′ degrees for Miami is a bit of a surprise.
What we can do to protect us from the cold temperatures and to help our body stay warm, it’s to stay away from summer fruits, or sweet fruit juices and smoothies. Summer sweet fruits which are full of water are meant to be eaten in summer, they have a cooling effect meant to maintain our bodies cold.
Switch to winter vegetables and citrus fruits during cold fronts and winter.
Here’s a list of Winter Fruits & Vegetables:
– Anything green like kale, collard greens, broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, leeks, endive.
– Anything orange like pumpkin, butternut squash, clementines, oranges, grapefruit, papaya, passion fruit, tangerines, sweet potatoes.
First thing I did this morning was to slice my butternut squash and place it un-peeled in a deep oven dish with water. Then baked it for 45 minutes at 400′. This process makes the vegetable release its sweet juices and gives me a smooth creamy texture perfect for soup!
Below recipe for my Vegan Butternut Squash Creamy Soup. I paired it up with Scallions, sliced avocados and a squirt of Balsamic Vinegar.
Vegan Butternut Squash Creamy Soup
– 2 C of Oven baked Butternut Squash (Scoop it out of skin with a spoon)
– 1 Tsp of Coconut Oil
– 2/3 of a Yellow Onion. Sliced
– 2 Cloves of Garlic. Minced
– 3 Carrots. Cut into bits
– 1/2″ of Ginger. Peeled
– 2 C of Water, or Homemade Vegetable Broth, or Canned Coconut Milk
– 1/4 Tsp of Curry Powder
– 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric
– Sea Salt & Pepper
– In a deep pot pan, pour in Tsp of Coconut Oil. Melt it at medium heat.
– Throw in sliced onions and garlic. Saute for a couple minutes until the onion releases its juices and its color changed to translucent.
– Now, add the carrots and the ginger. Cook for other 5 minutes.
– Add the butternut squash and water. Add spices. Cover pot and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are soft to fork.
– Transfer soup ingredients into a blender or Vitamix and blend till smooth!