What an awesome practical idea. No bread? No problem! Use two grilled Portobello mushrooms instead. And let’s make vegan grilled cheese! Loyal to my Mantra I do not use processed foods, or substitutes. So the “cheese” you are seeing in the photos is nothing more than Homemade Tomato Hummus. On the side, black quinoa on top of mashed avocado.
One of my favorite things when I used to go to japanese restaurants long time ago, was seeing the perfect rice mountain on my dish. Trick I had to implement in my kitchen.
To make such cute little mountain use a small bowl cup, fill it up with your grain. Press it down with your fingers. Don’t top it, leave some space to add the mashed avocado, turn it quick on your place, and voila. It reminds me of playing with buckets of sand on the beach. But I’m sure you knew this trick too!
And there you have it. Dinner ready in about 15 minutes or less. The hummus was already prepared from the night before. The quinoa from two days ago. What I cooked today were the mushrooms. Steps below.
Cooking doesn’t have to be hard. In fact, it’s fun. And by cooking at home you know exactly what’s been served on your plate. Thumbs up!
Portobello Grilled Cheese with Homemade Hummus
– 2 Giant Portobello Mushrooms Caps. When picking your mushrooms from your grocery store, look for the ones that are concave so it’s easier to place things on top. Like if they were little dishes.
– Coconut Aminos, or Briggs Soy Aminos
– 1/4 of a Red onion, sliced.
– Sea Salt & Pepper
– 1/2 Tsp of Coconut Oil
– Using an iron skillet or your stove pan, pour the coconut oil and warm your skillet at medium heat.
– Throw sliced onions, sauté them until you can smell the onions which is when the juices get released. Think about it this way; you are infusing the oil with spices. This is how you flavor your dish.
– Sprinkle sea salt and pepper on the pan. Add a squirt of the Aminos
– Mix with a wooden spoon to incorporate onions and aminos. Then place the two caps of shrooms on the pan.
– Cook on each side for approximate 6-7 minutes.
– When done, take one cap, mount the grilled onions on top. Then pour one scoop of your homemade hummus. Add more onions if desired. Now, place other cap on your grilled cheese and plate.
– Do the quinoa trick if desired. Serve yourself a cup of water, or glass of wine (my turn to relax) and enjoy of this awesome 15 minutes homemade meal!