I’ve become an avid reader of Vegan & Health Food Blogs. Call it my training, call it research. However, I keep bumping into bloggers that keep using hydrogenated oils, vegetables oils, and refined ingredients in their recipes. Big no-no.
I know desserts are not meant to be eaten everyday. But that is not an excuse not to make them with wholesome ingredients. At the end, a dessert is a food! Probably weighting on the side of the sweets and fats. But those not-so-friendly ingredients can still be Low Glycemic, and Healthy Fats. So, Why not?
If we can achieve delicious, indulgent flavors by using plant based foods, why not making them our main tools and ingredients in our meals. They will satisfy your sweet tooth, and won’t be as heavy on your stomach or health. Plus, anything that we prepare sans animal products, or chemicals taste naturally delicious. At cooking plant based foods what we do is embellish food’s natural flavors. It won’t be so hard to gain that Chef’s title at home. I can guarantee you, you will fall in love with cooking simply cause everything will just taste and come out right. As if life was perfect! In the kitchen.
Friendly Ingredients in My Kitchen and Recipes:
Oils: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Nut Butters, Nut Oils
Flours/Complex Carbs: Brown Rice Flour, Gluten Free Oats, Buckwheat, Quinoa etc
Sweeteners: Maple Syrup, Agave, Coconut Sugar
Ingredients to Avoid:
Oils: Hydrogenated Oils, Vegetable Oils, Shortening, Margarine
Flours: Enriched or Refined Wheat, Bleach White Wheat Flour
Sweeteners: White Sugar, Corn Syrup, Aspartame, Diet Sweetener
Seeds/Grains: Soy Isolates, Soy Milk, Soy Lecithin
Below, my very on version of a Vegan Banana Coffee Streusel Cake with walnuts and chocolate chips, and decadent rich almond and banana bottom layer.
Banana Coffee Streusel
– 1 C of Chocolate Chips
– 1/4 C of Agave
– 1/2 C of Chopped Walnuts*
– 1 Tbsp of Cinnamon
– 1 1/2 C of Gluten Free Oat Flour*
– 3/4 Tsp of Baking Soda
– 1 Tbsp of Baking Powder
– 1/4 Tsp Salt
– 1/2 Agave
– 1/2 C of Almond Butter
– 1/4 C of Coconut Oil
– 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
– 4 Mashed Bananas
Preheat oven to 350′ F
– Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Set Aside.
– You need 2 bowls to make the cake part of our dessert.
– In one large bowl sift in the dry ingredients. Whisk and set aside.
– In the other medium size bowl throw in the agave, oil, and butter. Using an Electric Hand Mixer, mix well till smooth.
– In your 3rd bowl. Mash your bananas with a potato masher or a wooden spoon. I used yellow ripe bananas with few dark spots. When they are too ripe the banana taste will not be that predominant in the recipe, it will just become a sweetener to the dessert. Use yellow bananas better than black over ripe ones.
– In your large bowl where the dry ingredients are, throw in the mix from the oil and butter, and mashed bananas. Combine with a wooden spoon.
– Line your deep dish cake mold, round or square with parchment paper. Pour cake mix in. Flatten with a spatula. Then place on top our Streusel toppings. Press down with you hand into cake mix.
– Place cake in oven for 45min.
*Walnuts should be soaked overnight to facilitate digestion. Simply place walnuts in a glass container with water and a shot of vinegar or lemon. Cover and let it sit overnight. Rinse and drain well before using.
*Gluten Free Oats can be found from Bob Red Mill brand.