One of my favorite breakfast ideas hands down. A Warm Bowl of Vegan Steel Cut Oats Cereal. It’s also one of the first recipes I learned when I first started to cook. It’s so easy to make. It’s just shows you how much I knew about cooking before. Zero.
This meal is filling, it’s warm and can be customized in so many different ways. It’s best to eat as breakfast as it provides you with energy for long periods of time. Let’s say you have an early exam, or running a 5K? Then this is your go-to breakfast. Steel Cut Oats are complex carbs, meaning its sugars get released slowly in your blood, hence the boost of energy throughout the morning. They are also a plant protein food and are packed with fiber.
Need I to say more?
In the photos you can see two different combos. Above, a Chocolate-Almond Butter Steel Cut Oat Bowl. Below, a Vanilla-Cinnamon Warm Steel Cut Oat Cereal. Both have the same preparation. It’s the toppings and the add ons what makes them unique. You pick which one is your favorite.
Warm Steel Cut Oats Cereal
– 2 C of Steel Cut Oats (Soaked Overnight) Click for more info
– 2 3/4 C of Nut Milk or Rice Milk
– 1 Banana, sliced.
– 4 Strawberries, sliced.
– 1 Tbsp of Almond Butter
– Cinnamon, about 1 Tsp
– Pepita Seeds
– 1/4 C of Raisins
– Chia or Flax Seed
For the Chocolate Version
– Add 1 Scoop of Raw Chocolate Protein
– 1 Tbsp of Cacao Powder
– On a sauce pan throw in the Steel Cut Oats and the Nut Milk.
– Uncover, cook at medium heat until it boils.
– When boiling, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
– When ready, remove from heat and throw in the toppings. Start with the powder ones, like the cinnamon and chocolate if using. Follow with the Vanilla Extract (optional), and Almond Butter. Mix well with a spoon. Then garnish with the raisins and/or seeds. Last the fruit slices.
– Serve, and have a wonderful day!