Why does everything that calls for “Traditional Latin Meal” have to be greasy, or simple carbs, or full of sugar. Ha? Not to mention the extra cheese or the meat involved. I want to change that. Let’s make a Traditional Latin Breakfast a meal to dream about and enjoy guiltlessly.
Let’s change that greasy for healthy fats using Coconut Oil, the simple carbs for Complex Carbs using Quinoa, and leave sugar out of the room. We are going to make Arepas! Corn-cakes for my Gringo friends. Open them up and fill them with beans or veggies, or use them as an open face platter and top with your favorite veggie combination.
I’m borrowing the Beans and Salsa from my Mexican compadres for my breakfast. Leaving you with this Colombian arepa with a Wasabi Twist.
Do you have any childhood dish you’d like to enjoy but can’t because it’s not vegan? Let me know! Drop a comment below with your request and I’ll work in recreating a “guiltless” version using wholesome ingredients.
Quinoa Arepas (Corn-Quinoa Cakes)
– 1 C of Quinoa Flour (Grounded Quinoa. Flour Soaked Overnight. Before using throw away excess water)
– 1 C of Corn Grits
– 2 Tbsp of Nutritional Yeast
– 2 Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
– 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
– Sea Salt & Pepper
– 1/2 Tsp of Onion Powder
– 1 Tsp of Rosemary
– 1/4 C of Water
– Preheat oven to 375′. Line a oven tray with Parchment Paper
– Mix all ingredients in food processor. Blend till smooth!
– When ready, using a soup spoon pour batter, as if it was a pancake on lined oven tray.
– I fit 6 “arepas” on my tray. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
– Remove from oven and top with your favorite veggie combo or spicy salsa!