Curry is an ol’ time favorite of mine. However I was not always able to eat it. I used to have problems with my stomach. It was terrible and frustrating. Almost all veggies bloated me, sauces and dressings will make my tummy ache. And I did’t pay regular visits to Mr.Toilet. I was not a happy girl.
Finally, things started getting better as I started leaning towards organic and non processed foods. My digestion, health and self esteem took a turn over as soon as I became a pescatarian (veggie that eats fish). That was around 4 years ago. I also gave up dairy with the occasion of yogurt every now and then. And little by little I added more vegetables, and spices.
Now that I’m vegan, I can eat a raw cabbage salad, with a side of roasted red peppers, and steamed cauliflower and feel great about it! I don’t have stomach aches, and my digestion works like a clock! I owe my progress to Dark Leafy Greens, my daily drinking of Green Morning Juices and Kombucha (Pro-Biotic Drink). It’s what we all need to better our digestion, specially if you are a meat eater. You and me need the enzymes provided by Dark Leafy Greens in order to digest food.
If you are new to the Clean Eating World, pace yourself by first cutting off processed foods, and refined ingredients. Start incorporating green juices, or drink a bottle of Kombucha (Fermented Tea) on a regular basis. You can also add pro-biotics tablets or powder in your smoothies or take papaya enzyme tablets. Pro-biotics are the healthy bacteria also found in our stomach which helps us digest food.
Hope that helps! Now, it’s curry time!
Yellow Curry Vegetable Recipe
– 1 Tsp of Coconut Oil
– 1 Yellow Onion
– 4 Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
– 1 Can of Coconut Milk, or 1 Coconut with its meat and water blended.
– 1 Tbsp of Tamari Sauce
– 1 Tbsp of Maple Syrup
– 2 Tbsp of Yellow Curry Powder
– 1 Can of Garbanzos, Washed and Drain**
– 1 Tsp of Paprika
– 1/2 Head of a Cauliflower
– 1/2 Daikon, Julienned or slice into coin shapes*
– 1/2 Apple, Julienned*
– 5-6 Leaves of Kale. Tear with your hands into small size pieces.
*These are left over sliced vegetables I had from making Sushi the night before. You can replace with vegetables of your choice.
**You can also use White Sweet Potatoes. Cut them in cubes and throw them in pan right after the coconut milk and spices. Cover for 10 minutes before throwing in the rest of the ingredients.
– On a big pan pour the tsp of Coconut Oil. Turn stove on to Medium Heat
– Slice the onion and throw in pan with chopped garlic. Spread the onions and garlic around to coat them with the oil. Let them cook till they change color and become translucent and you start smelling their aromas.
– Pour the can of coconut meat. Mix with a wooden spoon.
– Add Tamari (Fermented Soy Sauce), Curry powder, Paprika and Maple Syrup. Mix with the wooden spoon.
– Add the garbanzos, mix and cover for 5 minutes.
– Add the cauliflower, daikon and apple. Mix and cover for other 5 minutes.
– Add the kale, mix and cover for 10 minutes.
– Uncover the pan, if the kale is wilted you are done. If not, mix one more time and cover for additional 5 minutes or until kale wilts.
Recipe inspired by Detoxinista