Veggie burgers are one my specialties. I’ve done them in the past with black beans, and sweet potato. I’ve done them even with squash. Sometimes using quinoa, or brown rice. Oat flour, or garbanzo flour, or if either flour of choice is not available, I use sesame seeds and/or flax. It is just such a convenient and practical recipe to make at home with whichever ingredients you have in your kitchen. It comes in handy when veggies are about to go bad and you need to batch some food to put those vegetables to good use.
These beet patties/veggie burgers are meaty, juicy and with a beautiful pink color. The sesame seed crust is optional, it gives that “Tuna” look. Leave it with out and it becomes a 1/2 lb. “beet-beef” burger. Whatever you are in the mood for, or whichever is handy. Veggie burgers is one of my favorite recipes because of its practicality. For this recipe, I left patties in the oven instead of frying them. That means more time for me to play with my daughter, organize the house, or for whatever other mission this momma has to deal with! You dig?😉
Shout out to those mommas that juggle it all for their families. Hard work and dedication for love and for the well being of our kids!
Beet Veggie Burger
– 1 Raw Shredded Beet
– 1 Can of Black Beans (Rinsed and Drained)
– 1 C of Cooked Rice (I didn’t have this time so didn’t use. Texture will be best if using brown rice)
– 2 Tsp of Ketchup
– 2 Tsp of Mustard
– 2 Tbsp of Almond Butter
– Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
– 1/2 C of Sesame Seeds or Flax Meal + 1/4 C
– 2-3 Chopped Garlic
– 1/2 Chopped Onion
– 1 Wedge of Red Pepper
– 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
Preheat oven to 375′ F
– Place shredded beet, black beans, cooked rice, and almond butter in a food processor. Combine ingredients but do not over due it or we will end up with mashed “no-potato” beets instead of a burger. When done, set aside, but do not remove beet-meat from food processor.
– On a pan, heat it up, then pour tbsp of oil, immediately after add garlic, onions and peppers.
– Add seasoning salt/pepper or any other seasoning of choice.
– When veggies have released their juices and flavors, transfer them to food processor to combine with the beet-meat. Add also the ketchup and mustard.
– Pulse a couple of times.
– Transfer beet-meat to a bowl add 1/2 C of sesame seeds, mix with a wooden spoon.
– Form your patties using a measuring spoon, then roll them and flatten them up with your hands.
– Line a tray with parchment paper. Before placing the patties on tray cover them slightly with the additional 1/4 C of sesame seeds on both sides.
– Bake Beet Patties for 10 minutes on each side.