Many think that baking gluten free isn’t as easy as it is to bake with wheat flour. Or that it’s not possible to get the same results. What happens when baking gluten free is that we are replacing other grains and blending different gluten free flours to imitate the protein binding properties of gluten. Hence, it is possible! Gluten is the protein of wheat, reason why they used to tell us to eat whole wheat bread; instead of white bread, because it had “protein”. Remember? Gluten is also the agent responsible for the rising of many bake goods like muffins and bagels. With time, and due to the sad S.A.D (Standard American Diet) wheat is one of the crops more genetically modified in the US. It is a high demand ingredient for almost everything the average american eats, like pizza, hamburgers, bagels, bread, pasta etc. The wheat we are consuming nowadays, it’s not purely wheat. It’s more of a blend of grasses and other wheat looking plants which gluten has been enriched to create better looking and long lasting bake-goods.
This affect us because that so called “wheat” becomes very difficult to digest. It can give some people leaky gut, or headaches, or fatigue, or even depression. The saddest part of all, you can have these symptoms and have no idea what could be causing it. Reason why, I decided to cook and bake gluten free.
For these classic and vegan chocolate chip cookies I used a blend of gluten free oat flour and garbanzo flour, oat flour is a sticky flour that helps bind the bake good, and garbanzo is high in protein which compensates for the absence of gluten in this recipe.
I buy the gluten free flours at Publix in the Greenwise section or at Whole Foods or online at vitamix.com. The brand of my preference is Bob Red Mills, and you can purchase his flours directly from his website too.
To learn more about the dangers of gluten and why we should avoid it you can watch this video by Dr.Hyman
Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
– 2 Flax Eggs
– 1/2 C of Melted Coconut Oil
– 1/2 C + 1/4 C of Cane Sugar
– 1/4 C of Maple Syrup
– 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
Mix this ingredients together in a big bowl, then add:
– 1 C + 1/3 C of Gluten Free Oat Flour
– 1 C of Sorghum or Garbanzo Flour
– 1/2 Tsp of Baking Powder
– 1 Tsp of Baking Soda
– 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
Mix, then add:
– 2/3 C to 1 C of Vegan Chocolate Chips
– After mixing all ingredients together scoop batter on lined oven tray with parchment paper.
– Bake at 350″ F for 10 min. Rotate tray and bake for 5 more minutes.
– If you like the cookies crispy leave them in the oven turned off for 10 min, if not take them out of them oven and let them cool down and enjoy!
– Cookies will still be soft, but as they cool down they will harden up.