I was surprised to find out how easy it is to make mushroom soup. I can remember those times when I couldn’t cook and I tried to make a mushroom soup following the recipe from a book. It was a disaster.
But last night, I was in the kitchen with my little girl, and as it’s becoming a habit, I opened the fridge and she ran towards it and took the box of mushrooms out. (She loves mushrooms by the way, and loves eating them raw). In a matter of seconds all the mushrooms were all over the floor. It was mushroom dinner time.
I can’t forget that mushroom soup I tried making once, the burnt smell and the ugly coal color, but I took that as a challenge to recreate the soup, this time using my own methods. And it was awesome!
Mushrooms are a very special food and medicine. Every mushroom has its own unique qualities. In general mushrooms are a great aliment to our diet since its consumption can help prevent cancer. Even the white button mushroom has great health benefits. Eating mushrooms can help us reduce the risk of breast cancer by a 65% since it keeps our levels of estrogen down. It can also help us loose weight and keep from gaining it back. Mushrooms, just like onions, and garlic prevent the fat cells from growing in our body. For more information on the health benefits of mushrooms and other plant based foods I suggest getting Joel Fuhrman’s book, “Super Immunity”.
Creamy Mushroom Soup
– 1 C of sliced Yellow Onion
– 1 Clove of Garlic, chopped
– 1.5 Tsp of Dried Rosemary
– 1 Potato ( of the size of your first) Cut in cubes.
– 2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
– 2 C of Water
– 1 Box of mushrooms
– Pinch of Salt
– In a deep sauce pot over medium heat throw in the sliced onions, the chopped garlic, the pinch of salt and rosemary.
– Let the onion release its juices, and the add the potato cubed, and the 2 Tbsp of coconut oil.
– Pour in the water. Let it boil and cook for 10 minutes.
– Test the potato with a fork, if it’s easy to poke, the veggies are ready. If not, cook longer for 1- 2 minutes.
– Transfer all the ingredients of the pot to a blender, thrown in the raw mushrooms as well.
– Blend till smooth and creamy.