If you don’t have quinoa flour, don’t fret. If you have quinoa in your pantry that will do. Take a cup of quinoa grains and blend them in a high speed blender. That’s quinoa flour.
My daughter often eats pancakes for breakfast, but lately, I’ve been running out of time to prepare when she has school. So today, that we have the day off and could woke up a little bit later than usual; I decided to batch a couple pancakes to last me all week.
I made gluten free quinoa pancakes and flavored them with a chai spice blend. If you don’t like chai spices, omit and simply stick to the 1/2 Tsp of cinnamon. Quinoa has a bit of a bitter flavor so instead of making them sweeter -which you could do – I attempted to balance that bitterness with seasoning. I also added fresh berries to the pancakes, and served them with shaved cacao butter and cacao paste, and a scoop of cashew butter.
You can prepare pancakes in advance, and freeze them. When you are ready to have them, simply reheat in a toaster oven for about 5-7 min.
– 1 C of Quinoa Flour (See notes above on how to make quinoa flour)
– 1 C of Gluten Free Oat Flour
– 2.5 Tbsp of Flax Meal mixed with 1/4 C of Water
– 1/2 Tsp of Baking Powder
– 1/8 Tsp of Baking Soda
– 1/4 Tsp of Pink Salt
– 1/4 Tsp of Nutmeg, and Cinnamon
– Pinch of Clove Powder
– 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
– 2 Tbsp of Maple Syrup, Grade B
– 1.5 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
– 1 C + 3/4 C of Warm to Hot Water
– In a big mixing bowl add on all the dry ingredients first. Whisk
– Then add the flax/water mix, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup and hot water
Note: You don’t have to heat up the water, hot water from your sink will do
– Mix everything with a spatula. Meanwhile turn your stove on and let the pan heat up
– When the pan is hot, brush with coconut oil
– I portioned my pancakes with a 1/4 measuring cup, you could do the same and pour 1/4 C of batter into pan
– Add pieces of berries, frozen or fresh into the batter once on the pan
– When the batter starts bubbling up, flip and cook for 1-2 min more.
– Repeat the process with rest of batter.