Growing up my favorite dish were Raviolis. Spinach and Ricotta to be exact. Now growing into plant based cuisine, I was not quite fond of fennel. However, I had to work with it several times and I warmed up to it, and now it became a favorite. To join these two sides of me, I made my favorite with my favorite. Rice Ravioli with Fennel Pesto and Rose Bechámel.
Had to go gluten free again, my cooking has always been but I had gluten when eating out. Therefore, I was so glad to learn how to make gluten free pasta, and now morph the recipe into these beautiful raviolis.
Vegan and Gluten Free Raviolis
– 1 Cup of Brown Rice Flour
– 1 C of Gluten Free Oat Flour
– 1 C and 1/3 C of Arrowroot
– 2 Tbsp of Xanthan Gum
– 3/4 Tsp or 1 Tsp of Pink Salt
– 1/2 C + 2 Tbsp of Warm Water
– 1/4 C of Golden Flax Meal
– 1/4 C of Macademia or Olive Oil
– 1/4 C of Water
– In a small container mix the warm water with the flax meal, whisk it with a spoon and set aside.
– In another bowl, mix all the dry components, the rice flour, oat flour, arrowroot, salt and xanthan.
– Then add the flax mixture, plus the rest of the liquid ingredients to the bowl and mix. You may start with a wooden spoon and then finish up with your hands to really massage the dough.
– Flatten it out between two parchment paper sheets and roll it with a roller pin. I went rolling the pasta as thin as 1/8″.
– Cut out your pasta with a ravioli cutter or cookie cutter.
– To assemble the ravioli, have your filling ready, already cooled down.
– With the tip of your fingers wet the edge of all the cut out noodles – this acts as glue. And have some water handy to dip your finger again if needed.
– Put a small amount of your desired filling in the middle and sandwich the noodle with another noodle to make the ravioli.
– Press the edges with your fingers, or a fork. Then, if you have a pastry cutter wheel (it looks like a pizza cutter but with wrinkled edges, finished the edge of the ravioli with it to give it a more elevated look)
– Boil 2 Quarts of water with an abundant amount of sea salt (3 -4 Tsp)
– Add raviolis and cook for 8 minutes.
– If you want to freeze them you may do so, do not cook them prior, simply freeze them after you sandwich them together.